05 April 2010

¡Sismo! | Earthquake!


Here's bit of footage from the 7.2 earthquake that rumbled northern Baja California and southern California on Easter Sunday. It's not my video. It looks like a couple of kids filmed it with a phone. Notice the Crayola ceiling fan. Classic Tijuana.

Downtown, at my place, the windows started rattling, and I thought it was just a muffler on a tricked-out car passing by outside. Then the house started swaying. The housemates and I rushed to the living room, sort of stared at each other in shock for a few seconds before saying, "Um, the house is shaking." Then we ran out into the street.

Our front door has to be unlocked with the key from the inside (like many Mexican homes), and I happened to have my keys in my hand because I was on my way to the park. So that job was up to me, which I had trouble doing. I fumbled for a good few seconds. Under pressure...

The ground swayed for a good 30 seconds before finally stopping. Such an odd sensation. Everything moving. Car alarms going off. The neighbors laughing, saying, "Whoa, I'm dizzy!"

For us, it really wasn't that big of a deal. More irking than anything. Some 100 miles to the east, near the epicenter in Mexicali, the streets split open and at least one home collapsed on its owner, killing him.

2 comments:

pelon said...

Just found your blog. Probably through Daniel Hernandez...don't remember.

Your feelings about TJ are parallel to my feelings about the D.F.

Great photos.
Spot on observations.
Witty writing.

Many of my Chilango friends rave about Tijuana and although I've been there 30 or 40 times I never quite found the sweet spot. I guess I'll have to try harder.

Ex Ohio River rat
b

Jorge said...

ME SIENTO QUE ME PERDI DE ALGO IMPORTANTE... YO NO LO SENTI.. PERO MI CASA SI MOSTRO LO SUCEDIDO..
ESTA INTEREZANTE EL VIDEO NO?